Monday, May 12

happy mother's day!

Wow, time sure does go by quickly and before I know it I haven't posted here in months! I will try to be better about that... Tonight I'm happy to have my laptop back after a day of no electricity due to some work being done on the power lines on our street. When I got notice that we'd be powerless today, I thought, hey, that's kind of cool, no TV or radio...I will spend the whole day just playing with Bailey in a quiet house. Reality brutally set in when the jackhammering and chain-sawing started up first thing in the morning and went on all. day. long. Needless to say, naptime was very short today! Yesterday was Mother's Day, and I had a great day. We went to church, then rushed off to meet my parents for brunch. After a nice but exhausting hour and a half of trying to eat and chat while entertaining a one-year-old who did not want to be in a high chair and suddenly no longer liked grilled cheese, we came home and took a nap (heaven!). D gave me a sweet card, a Sigg water bottle and the Dyson vacuum that was part bday present and part mother's day present. I had taken the night off, so it was a special time that evening of just being together and playing as a family. We gave B a bath together, and put her to bed. Then D and I played an epic game of Monopoly, and I actually won, which never happens with me and board games. I almost took a photo of the board at the end, but decided that would be too gloaty. It was so nice to spend some time together, just relaxing, not trying to accomplish anything other than just being together. That almost never happens these days! Speaking of time--I've been realizing more and more what an precious (and scarce!) commodity that is. I'm so busy all day doing mom and wife things--never ending laundry and dish washing, grocery shopping, cooking, keeping the dog from devouring B's toys, making sure B gets loved, fed, cleaned, played with, read to, and exercised...fitting in 10 minutes of conversation with D...not to mention driving to and from D's work twice a day since we're down to one car.....then it's off to my desk where I stay until 12:30 am, then fall into bed and sleep for 5 hours, which is never enough. Sometimes I have to think--wait--did I shower yesterday or today? When was the last time I changed my socks? I know, it is pathetic--but geez, it is hard to fit everything in. Still, I wouldn't trade it; being a mom is the most fulfilling, wonderful, exciting thing I have ever done. And thinking back about my mom and grandma--how loving they are/were, how fun and special they made family activities, all the sacrifices they made for us, all the time they spent and sleep they lost...well, it makes me proud to be in the same boat, even if it isn't always easy. Know what I mean? Well enough reflection for now. Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

lynn halsey said...

I'm so glad you're posting here again! I love the video; you can hear her baby breathing even when the picture is dark from the lens cap. Precious girl!

joy said...

YEA!!! You posted! I've been checking for months! Bailey is like a teenage already!
I need to see you guys! I hear you on all the mom responsibility stuff. It gets sooo much easier as they get older. (well somewhat.)
Miss you guys tons! Keep posting! It's great to hear how you guys are doing! When's baby #2 coming?